Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Feedback

I got some great feedback from our youth service last night. A few highlights, a few insights - and thankfully no lowlights. The feedback was good and timely and allowed me to view our ministry to high school students from someone else's perspective.

There's a proverb that says, "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I love that verse! Feedback is a form of sharpening. It's allowing someone to invest into your life with information that can potentially help you in your life, career, or relationships.

I am a sponge when it comes to feedback. I like to get it so I'm able to process what the person said and apply it to what needs corrected.

Sadly, a lot of people hate feedback. They get defensive (I used to), judgemental (I used to), and in a bad mood (OK, sometimes I still do) when they get constructive or negative feedback.

I have learned to appreciate feedback b/c the person giving you the feedback has taken the time to evaluate your performance or attitude in a given situation and is willing to help you grow and get better at your job or in your relationships.

I have learned that I also need to ask for feedback. Asking for it implies I want to get better.

So have you recieved any feedback lately?

1 comment:

Thad G-win said...

Good stuff PA. Feed back is one thing everybody should get back form someone. Its the one thing that will motivate us to be better. If we don't get that, we start to think that were as good as were gonna get and we then we stop growing and we should never stop growing.